Saturday, April 16, 2005

Why I am what I am

I believe it's common knowledge among those in the political sphere that the Republican party has been hijacked by religious extremists. What isn't often discussed is that the Democratic party has a vocal fringe element vying for control of the party. My goal is to simply point this out and comment on it.

At one time I ran a successful liberal blog where I gave the rightwing hell everyday. But I often found myself battling with other liberals over basic policy issues. That's when I realized that I was a center-left liberal.

In a recent speech, President Bill Clinton said, "America has two great dominant strands of political thought: conservatism, which at its very best draws lines that should not be crossed; and progressivism, which at its very best breaks down barriers that are no longer needed or should never have been erected in the first place."

I'd like to see that remain true in defiance of the fringes in our political system.

I believe that fringe elements in both parties will be the downfall of our society regardless of which side wins unless moderates on both sides of the aisle turn back the tide of extremism.
Just as I hope traditional Republicans reclaim the word "conservative" from the Christian Taliban in our country, I will do my best not to let the Neoleft hijack the term "liberal."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home